Before the railroad existed, there are three original owners of land in 1890 between the future parkway and Forbes Ave.
- Mary Schenley
- H Samson
- Chris Mcgee
1) History of Mary Schenley Land Transfers
- 1880 – Mary Schenley sold to Junction Railroad a right of way for the rail line. Dead Book 534 Page 43. It is description along the rail line from roughly the future parkway to a prolongation of Woodlawn (now Frew St.). Note this is relevant as it describes the east boundary in the next sale.
- 1906 – Mary Schenley Trustees sold to SchuylHill Improvement Land Co – from the East side of the railroad right of way to along some existing plan of lots and Boundary Street. Dead Book 1466 Page 14. Note: SchuylHill Improvement Land Co ultimately became CSX railroad see Deed Book 6729 page 44 for the merger list.
- From this property CSX sold four parcels that I know about
- 1) The southern section from the parkway to almost to Pitt Parking. Sold to Sol Gross, Deed Book xxxx page, who sold it to City of Pittsburgh City of Pittsburgh – Rougthly – 25 ft from the western most rail toward what CSX owned to the west. Parcel ID 28-M-175 and more – Deed Book 13618 page 361
- There appears to be a piece of Boundary St right of way between previous parcel and the next parcel. This crosses the railroad track, but not all the way through CSX property.
- 2) The south half of the University of Pittsburgh parking lot. Roughly 50 feet from center-line of railroad for 327 ft. The north half and 70 feet from center-line of railroad for 470 feet.
- 3) Under the Schenley Park Bridge on the west side of Boundary St. currently owned by Carl DePasquale Deed Book 10404 page 643. Sold by railroad Deed Book XXXX page XX.
- 4) A small parcel on the western side of Boundary street alongside the former tracks to the steam plant. Deed Book 4295 Page 213
2) History of H Samson Land Transfer
- 1880 From the prolongation of Woodlawn (now Frew St) for about about 830 feet north – Historical map shows parcel owned by H Samson
- ca 1903 Historical map show parcel owned by City of Pittsburgh
- June 1903 Court of Common Pleas condemnation proceedings – Proceedings “not n Box”, which means that this approach is a dead end.
- Current County records indicate owned by City of Pittsburgh with “ground granted for use of Carnegie Institute of Technology Property Record Block No 53-B Lot 100.
3) History of Chris McGee Land Transfer
- 1890 Historical map show parcel owned by Chris McGee
- The parcel went through a number of Owners. – DB 1410 P 162, DB 1431 P 119, DB 1790 P 159 , DB 1790 P 159. On quick glance at these deeds, none mentioned the railroad.
- 2002 U.S. Government sold to Penn Higher Education with a Quit Claim from the railroad on several small sub parcels. 7166 Page 47
- 2002 – Penn Higher Education sold to CMU Deed Book 11583 P 94
- A building footprint within the parcel got traded back and forth, CMU sold to RIDC, RIDC then sold it CMU Deed Book 12390 P 400 and P408, leaving CMU the owner.